Third-Party Processor Participation

A third-party processor (TPP) or independent sales organization (ISO) may participate in California EBT by becoming certified to the Xerox State & Local Solutions, Inc. transaction gateway.

All TPPs and ISOs must comply with the Quest®Operating Rules, including transaction processing standards, messaging, and signage. Stores that want to process EBT transactions for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits must have a 7-digit Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) authorization number. This FNS number is a required part of the transaction. SNAP EBT transactions are not approved without a valid FNS number. If you’re interested in applying for authorization to accept SNAP benefits at your store, call (877) 823-4369 or click here.

Cash EBT transactions are very similar to debit card transactions, with some differences described in the Quest®Operating Rules. Stores that only want to accept EBT transactions for cash benefits may participate without any prior authorization or approval from either the state or federal government. An FNS authorization number is not required. There are certain types of stores that are restricted from processing EBT cash transactions. The following business types cannot participate in the processing of California EBT cash transactions: adult entertainment locations (e.g., adult stores, adult videos, adult toys, adult movie theaters), gambling locations (casinos, bingo parlors, poker rooms, card rooms, gambling race tracks), spa/massage parlors, cannabis retailers, smoke retailers (tobacco, cigar, cigarette, pipe), tattoo piercing, bail bonds, and cruise ships. If you have any questions, please call the Retailer Helpline at (866) 328-4212.

[1] As of Oct. 1, 2008, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the new name for the federal Food Stamp Program.